Tax Policy Expert
Tax Policy ExpertFormer Texas Comptroller State Tax Policy Analyst: 1977-2001 (23 Years)
EducationB.S. in Education – Jacksonville State University, 1974
- Tax Policy
- Administrative Hearings
- Construction Industry
- Oil & Gas Industry
- Sales & Use Tax
- Local Sales & Use Tax
- Direct Payment Use Tax
- Motor Vehicle Tax
- Motor Vehicle Rental Gross Receipts
- Cigarette, Cigar, Tobacco Products
- Boat & Boat Motor Tax
- Diesel Fuels, Gasoline
- Unclaimed Property
- Manufactured Housing
- Texas Emissions Reduction Plan – Motor Vehicle & Off Road Heavy Equipment
ExperienceTexas Tax Group (2016 – present)
- Director of Tax Policy
- Audit Defense
- IAR Defense
- Sales Tax Reviews
- Training – preparation & presentation to interface corporate policy with tax regulations
- Managed sales/transaction tax responsibilities for multiple corporate entities in multi-states as required.
- Provided audit oversight and defense for each of the corporate entities’ line of business in any state of their multi-state operations.
- Obtained relevant state and local regulatory requirements compared to contractual responsibilities and merged into guidelines as needed per state/contract for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivables tax compliance.
- Trained and mentored coworkers in tax compliance according to their individual job responsibilities.
- Assisted legal and project management with mitigation of tax disputes with subcontractors and/or property owners and vendors/customers.
- Maintained registration and reporting/remittance compliance with state regulatory agencies.
- Researched and provided regulatory and compliance assistance along with directives for businesses based upon their respective inquiry whether verbal or written.
- Provided compliance seminars to industry groups, including updates due to recent legislation, court decisions, or administrative actions.
- Conducted enforcement and taxpayer compliance collection activities as required based upon area of assignment.
- Provided one-on-one analysis in person and by telephone for new business startups and existing businesses requiring assistance to become compliant with regulations.
- Prepared materials/presentations and instructed taxpayer assistance, enforcement, and audit personnel in sales tax regulation and compliance.
Enforcement Division Employee Training (1980 – 2001)
- Basic Sales/Use Taxability & Account Maintenance
- Sales/Use Tax Taxpayer Compliance
- Intermediate Sales/Use Taxability
- Advanced Sales/Use Taxability
- Basic Motor Vehicle Sales/Use Taxability
- Legislative Update Training
Audit Division Employee Training (1985 – 2001)
- Auditor Two Sales/Use Taxability
- Intermediate Audit Sales/Use Taxability
- Audit Update
- Advanced Audit
- Legislative Update Training
External/Industry Speaking/Instruction (1985 – 2000)
- The Associated General Contractors of America (Heavy Highway and Building Branches in Texas)
- Construction Financial Management Association, Texas chapters
- National Association of Women In Construction
- Texas Association of Builders
- TSCPA State Taxation Conference
- Houston Business Round-table
Internal Research/Training for Employer (2001 – 2013) (Any of the 50 States)
- Heavy Highway
- Commercial Construction
- Industrial Construction
- Industrial Maintenance
- Provided Member/Representative Training to AGC and CFMA as representative of the Employer
- Research of client’s workflow and processes compared to required Texas sales/use tax compliance; preparation and presentation of instructional materials and class content.