Voluntary Disclosure Agreements
- Limited look-back period of four years even if the business was not permitted (there is no four-year limitation on tax collected but not remitted).
- Depending on the circumstances, receive a waiver of all regular 10% penalties and 50% fraud penalties.
- Receive a waiver of interest on taxes voluntarily disclosed and paid that were not collected.
- Avoid an unplanned audit.
What to ExpectA Texas Tax Group consultant familiar with the tax rules, regulations and policies relative to your business will review your records, uncover any prior tax liabilities and initiate and manage the VDA process on your behalf.
View VDA Example
Let’s start by breaking down the potential audit liability for a non-permitted company which should have collected and remitted $10,000 in sales tax each year for the past seven years. If selected for audit by the Texas Comptroller, the total potential audit liability could be $119,000 ($70,000 in sales tax, $7,000 in regular penalties, $35,000 in fraud penalties and approximately $7,000 in interest).
Now let’s break down the potential liability if Texas Tax Group were to manage the VDA process on behalf of the company prior to an audit. The total VDA liability would be $40,000 ($10k in sales tax per year, no interest, no penalties and a 4-year look back period). Therefore, the total potential liability
Why Texas Tax Group
- Our VDA specialists ensure compliance with the VDA program guidelines so that each VDA receives approval from the Deputy Comptroller. This is critical since the Comptroller reserves the right to deny the waiver of penalty and/or interest or to void the agreement if the taxpayer does not adhere to the program policies and procedures.
- Our consultants and policy experts verify that all unpaid taxes are accounted for and reported. This reduces the risk of additional tax, penalties
andinterest on future audits of the disclosure period.
- Our settlement division has experience negotiating payment plans
- Our Policy Experts are well versed with Comptroller rules, regulations and policy and wrote over 5,000 private letter tax rulings while employed with the Comptroller
- Texas Tax Group’s team of 18 former Texas Comptroller State Tax Auditors, Supervisors
andTax Policy Experts have over 400 combined years of work experience with the Texas Comptroller’s office
- Our consultants have performed over 5,000 tax audits while employed as auditors by the Texas Comptroller’s Office and are familiar with the audit procedures employed by the State
- TTG has offices located in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio